I am an experienced journalist based in Washington, D.C.
I developed innovative projects that help people understand, and at times interact with, the news. Projects included:
- Govtracker: A political blog in Indiana that tracked legislative bills and local politics
- Slideshows: For PennLive/Patriot-News in Pennsylvania that explained the changing population through data from the U.S. Census and other sources
I once wrote 40 federal Freedom of Information requests for a single story. I'm still waiting for some of them to be filled. Other data reporting I've done:
- Best Places to Live in Midstate Pennsylvania: A data project where I pulled data and eventually wrote an algorithm to figure it out
- The Oldest FOIA requests: The above mentioned story, where I looked at how long people wait for information from the U.S. government
- Republicans in Bloomington: A story where I reviewed 40 years of election data to figure out why one political party had fallen so far it could only hold two offices in local government
I have produced stories for audiences that don't just read the news, but want to interact and understand in different ways.