I am an experienced journalist and digital strategist based in Washington, D.C.
I developed innovative projects that help people understand news and information. Projects included:
- Govtracker: A political blog in Indiana that tracked legislative bills and local politics.
- Slideshows: For PennLive/Patriot-News in Pennsylvania that explained the changing population through data from the U.S. Census and other sources.
I once wrote 40 federal Freedom of Information requests for a single story. I'm still waiting for some of them to be filled. Other data reporting I've done:
- Best Places to Live in Midstate Pennsylvania: A data project where I pulled data and eventually wrote an algorithm to figure it out.
- The Oldest FOIA requests: The above mentioned story, where I looked at how long people wait for information from the U.S. government.
- Republicans in Bloomington: A story where I reviewed 40 years of election data to figure out why one political party had fallen so far it could only hold two offices in local government.
I have produced stories for audiences that don't just read the news, but want to interact and understand in different ways.
- Snapchat: I used Snapchat to cover Bernie Sanders as he campaigned through Pennsylvania.
- Audio: I helped produce audio stories for a newspaper in Indiana.
- Interactive graphics: I created things like a bill tracker and maps of possible areas of lead poisoning.
I have created strategies that have a proven record of growth. Some strategies include:
- Social media: I used social media during the 2016 election and first year of the Trump administration to connect people to videos, graphics and other information.
- Email: I helped produce a weekly newsletter, sign ons, surveys and fundraising emails.
- Web design: I designed and built custom websites focused on topics from health care to property records.